Wednesday, December 3, 2008

transfered at last

i had a little dilemma recently. i was checking my academics page on testudo and i noticed that there didn't appear to be any ap scores. i thought that this was odd because i took six ap tests and received plenty of transferable credits. i assumed that there must have been some technical difficulties, and that the grades simply didn't show up on the page, but had still transfered. the reason i even cared to think about this was because all my freshman friends were able to register for classes on earlier days than i could, and i had more ap credits. so it didn't make sense. i should have had more credits yet i was registering on a later date. thats when i knew that it wasn't a technical problem or a type-o on testudo; those credits that i earned actually didn't transfer. my thoughts were confirmed when i did a walk in at the undergraduate office at the business school. it just didn't make sense because before i came to maryland, i was told to bring my official ap grades to my orientation. i did so and my advisor saw them and i took classes accordingly. but if they didn't transfer, how was i allowed to register for courses that i didn't have enough credit for, and how did i place out of classes that i didn't earn credits for? it was almost like my advisor bi-passed the rules a little and allowed me to take the courses. but since the registration process is all done electronically by a computer, the computer should have seen that i didn't have the proper credits, and not allowed me to register. as you can tell im very confused right now. all i can say is that i took the official copy of my ap grades to the office of the registrar in the mitchell building, handed them to the first person i saw, and just like that i was going to have my ap grades transfered in two days or less. now why wasn't i told to do this earlier? i know that technically i was supposed to write on my ap tests the school code of the school i want the grades to transfer to, but when i was taking some of the tests i was a junior in high school and didn't yet know where i was even going to apply to college, and for the ones i took my senior year, i still had some time to decide between three schools. so i finally got the grades transferred, and received the credit that i deserve. now im back on track so that i can register for the courses that i want to register for in the spring semester.

ersin

No comments: