Sunday, November 30, 2008

turkey day

for my thanksgiving i traveled up to lutherville close to baltimore. this year we had thanksgiving at my uncles house. this has been the tradition in my family for as long as i can remember. we might have had it at my house one year, and we have definitely had christmas celebrations at my house at least a couple times. but usually its always at my uncle's house. the house is great for family gatherings because it firstly is large, secondly because it contains many things that entertain little kids (like me and my brother when we were younger, or my cousin's children), and thirdly because he has the most comfy couch that i have ever sat upon. this couch is so comfy that after a long meal, you just sit down and pass out in front of the tv and the fireplace. nothing could be more relaxing. over the years, something has always occurred that has caused me to not enjoy thanksgiving. one year i spilled orange juice on myself, another year i had diarrhea, and another year i got sick to my stomach after spending too much time in an outdoor hot tub when it was 15 degrees outside. this year went very smoothly. no illnesses whatsoever, and i was able to finish all my food, which usually doesn't happen. usually my eyes are bigger than my stomach and i leave the table having only eaten three quarters of my food. this year i had a plan of attack. i ate all the turkey first because thats what usually fills me up. its harder to finish the turkey if you have already eaten some stuffing and beans. after the turkey i ate all the potatoes, beans, corn, stuffing, and bread. in using this coordinated plan of attack i managed to put away two mountainous plates of food, in addition to consuming a whole plate of apple crisp, pumpkin pie, and ice-cream. yup, this was the best thanksgiving meal i have eaten in a while. thats why turkey day is my most favorite holiday...good food and lots of it.

happy munching
ersin

No comments: